Pine Mountain Gold Museum
We are here to help preserve Villa Rica’s rich history of over a hundred years in the gold mining industry.
As we have progressed in constructing our beautiful museum, many of our citizens have brought in
memories that have become artifacts displayed for your enjoyment. Most of our exhibits were found right
here on Pine Mountain in Villa Rica dating back to the early 1800's and some exhibits date back to 12,000
BC! The museum's state of the art security system protects these precious memories.
Our Scenic Railroad is traveled by our C.P. Huntington train engine #310, formerly of Rocky Branch
Railroad and Zoo Atlanta. Kids of all ages will enjoy a scenic trek around the mountain on our Golden
Nugget engine, touring some of the sites of the gold mining process from the 1800's and riding through
some new exhibits and scenery.
Pine Mountain Gold Museum offers:
- A 4,800 square foot museum.
- 50-seat theater with an 18-minute documentary of the history of the Villa Rica mines.
- A covered gold and gemstone panning area.
- An authentic grist mill and water-wheel.
- A 27-acre park with over three miles of self-guided walking trails with interpretive signage.
- Knowledgeable guides available for group tours of 15 or more, when booked in advance.
- A covered picnic pavilion and picnic tables in shaded areas.
- West Georgia's only authentic 19th Century gold stamp mill.
- Georgia’s only gold museum located at the site of an actual gold mine and with gold and gem panning on-site.
- Live farm animal exhibit.
- Pine Mountain Scenic Railroad with 3/4 mile tour around the mountain.
Please come discover all that Villa Rica has to offer in the way of history and tourism.